Sharepoint for storing Relationdata

May 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Hi

As we are having a discussion how much meta data should be stored inside Sharepoint vs. using a relational database I am curious why you did the design you did with your application.
Any feedback what pro and cons you have experienced!?!?

if i look at the OBA reference architecture it looks like there is a tendencies to put the relational data in a SQL database..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/architecture/bb265266.aspx

Regards
Magnus
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM
Magnus, that is an excellent question! 

The answer to your question is complex...first of all, most of what you see in this application is designed to be stored ANYWHERE, but it just so happens that there are a few default Repository implementations that store their data in both SharePoint and SQL Server database tables.  With DDD, the main focus of this application is on the Domain Model and its associated logic, and the storage of data (i.e. the plumbing) is really just an infrastructure concern.  You or I or anyone could implement Repositories that store their data in text files, or use web services, etc. instead of the standard relational database implementation.

WIth that being said, there were parts of the appplication where the data was going to be rather large (such as the Preservation Notice History), and SQL Server was chosen in that instance because of the options available for tuning the database with indexes, using highly optimized stored procedures, etc. over using a SharePoint List.  It may turn out that in the next version of SharePoint, that it may make sense to move that data back into a list, but I am not sure yet.

The benefits of keeping your data in a SharePoint List are that you get editing and display for free, the downsides sometimes are the scalability of the List.

--Tim

salgo60 wrote:
Hi

As we are having a discussion how much meta data should be stored inside Sharepoint vs. using a relational database I am curious why you did the design you did with your application.
Any feedback what pro and cons you have experienced!?!?

if i look at the OBA reference architecture it looks like there is a tendencies to put the relational data in a SQL database..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/architecture/bb265266.aspx

Regards
Magnus